By Julie Barbour
Neverver is an Oceanic language spoken by means of simply over 500 humans at the excessive island of Malekula in Vanuatu. Drawing on an intensive corpus of box recordings gathered among 2004 and 2008, the research finds a truly attention-grabbing phonological method with six prenasalized segments, wealthy structures of ownership, tense/aspect/mood marking, valence switch, and verb serialization. The grammar is of curiosity to experts in Oceanic and Austronesian linguistics, in addition to to basic linguists, specifically these drawn to linguistic typology.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Neverver PDF
Similar communication books
The Swiss-Italian economist Christian Marazzi is among the center theorists of the Italian postfordist stream, in addition to Antonio Negri, Paolo Virno, and Bifo (Franco Berardi). yet even if his paintings is frequently pointed out by means of students (particularly by way of these within the box of "Cognitive Capitalism"), his writing hasn't ever seemed in English.
This ebook includes a choice of papers awarded at a Symposium geared up lower than the aegis of price Telecommunications motion 285. the most aim of the motion is to augment latest modeling and simulation instruments and to enhance new instruments for examine in rising multi-service telecommuncation networks within the parts of version functionality development, multilayer site visitors modeling, and the real factor of overview and validation of the hot modeling instruments.
Public conversation and behaviour, quantity 1 covers the examine of communicatory habit that has a public or social personality. The e-book discusses the evaluate of the types used to guage tv sequence; the synthesis of 1043 results of tv on social habit; and television information, priming, and public reviews of the president.
- Picture CSS3
- Communications of the ACM-Volume 53 Issue 6, June 2010
- Social Media and Integrated Marketing Communication: A Rhetorical Approach
- Houston, We Have a Narrative: Why Science Needs Story
- The Discourse Reader
- Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
Additional resources for A Grammar of Neverver
9. 1. The consonant inventory Table 4. 2. Distinctive features for Neverver consonants 25 Neverver has nineteen consonant segments. Prenasalization is a prominent feature of the inventory. In the central Malekula region, Neverver is known for its trills, particularly the prenasalized bilabial trill which appears with considerable frequency in the corpus. The bilabial trill segment is also found in related Malekula languages including Avava (Crowley 2006a: 25), Unua (Elizabeth Pearce, pers. ) and Northeast Malekula (Ross McKerras, pers.
In Unua, the prenasalized velar plosive is beginning to reduce in the same environment. 4. The prenasalized bilabial trill /ɂ/ The status of [mɂ] as a distinct phoneme /ɂ/ deserves some consideration. 1 above), there is a trilled allophone that occurs before the high back rounded vowel /u/. Supposing that such a distribution pattern was also relevant to the prenasalized bilabial plosive, we might hypothesize that both bilabial plosives are subject to a regular allophonic change of the following kind: Hypothesis: bilabial plosive : bilabial trill / ___ u This analysis is suggested by a number of verb stems in the corpus.
Elsewhere, it occurs with rather low frequency. ). o. banyan’ [nipejan] [nepra] ‘weaving’ place name [nep:ar] ‘cross-beams (in a house)’ [nip:er] ‘fern’ Two words are attested with medial geminate /p/ segments. Both of these are from closed word classes. 3. Consonant contrasts (11) [lap:an] ‘under’ [sup:ak ~ sup:ax] ‘nearly, almost’ 29 Word-final /p/ is restricted to loan words. In this environment, the final /p/ alternates with the voiceless allophone [ ]ݡof the bilabial fricative /ȕ/. (12) [kap ~ ka]ݡ [sop ~ so]ݡ [stap ~ sta]ݡ ‘metal, iron’ (Bis.